Disassembly

This being a Saturday, and with my enthusiasm in full gear, I took to work disassembling the Spitfire to get it down to the frame. I knew this had been a project car for someone before me, but I did not expect to be able to remove all the body panels and see the frame in less than one hour. Apparently the previous owner had essentially rested the body back on the chassis but never bolted it down at all when he decided to stop working on it.

After removing the hood (one loose bolt), doors (two bolts each side), windshield (one big zip tie) and trunk lid (two bolts, I was down to the main chassis, which had no bolts keeping it in place. The only thing keeping it in place was the 1300 engine sitting where the driver’s seat would be.

I removed the 1300 engine and recruited some temporary help, and the chassis was off the frame in seconds. 

Image

After that, I rolled the frame back into the garage and placed it on jack stands. I removed the tires and took a look at the drive train and suspension. I discovered the transmission was a four-speed from a 1500 (matching the engine), ID# FT7585, and the differential was ID# V2734, although I don’t know if that number tells me anything. The driveshaft connecting the gearbox to the differential was missing, so I will see if the seller has that on a shelf somewhere.

I started taking apart the rear suspension and discovered it was dry fitted, not permanently attached, so it was off in minutes. I then noticed a roto-flex system had been installed, and took those apart with no difficulty. Down to the differential, which was connected to the car with one loose bolt, it came off quite easily.

All of these parts are going to be rebuilt or refreshed, so more pictures will come. Once I have the emergency brake wire removed, the back half of the car will be down to the frame and I can turn my attention to the front half of the car. i can remove the suspension but will need to wait until I can borrow an engine puller from the friend who introduced me to this car in the first place.

There is clearly going to be a learning curve for all the different aspects of this car, and I remind myself that removing parts is much easier and faster than putting them back together. But now that I’m seeing the entire car, I still haven’t come across any rust that will need attention other than simple sanding, so that is very encouraging.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s